THE DAILY FOUNTAIN
DAILY DEVOTIONAL OF THE
CHURCH OF NIGERIA (ANGLICAN COMMUNION)
DATE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 07, 2020
TOPIC: GOD’S WORKMANSHIP
READ: EPHESIANS 2:1-10 (NKJV)
1. And you [He made alive,] who were dead in trespasses and sins,
2. in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
3. among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
4. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5. even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
6. and raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in the heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus,
7. that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in [His] kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
8. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God,
9. not of works, lest anyone should boast.
10. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
We were saved by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ (verse 8) and all He did for us on the cross. Works cannot save us; instead our works are the result of our salvation, not the cause of our salvation.
From our meditation today, we discovered that God is at work in the life of the believer. It is good for us to look back and appreciate God for what He has done for us in Christ Jesus. We were once dead in trespasses and sins. We were living worldly lives under the spirit of the power of the air (spirit of Satan) (verses 1-2). This spirit is at work in the life of unbelievers and leads to eternal damnation in hell. Thanks be to God that He saved us from all these and continues to work in us by His Holy Spirit to make us more and more like His Son Jesus Christ, Alleluia!
PRAYER: Appreciate God now for your salvation and continual work in your life. If you have not yet repented of your sins, ask God to save you and work in your life.