THE DAILY FOUNTAIN
DAILY DEVOTIONAL OF THE
CHURCH OF NIGERIA (ANGLICAN COMMUNION)
DATE: THURSDAY, JANUARY 16, 2020
TOPIC: ON CHRIST THE SOLID ROCK I STAND!.
READ: PSALM 144 (NKJV)
1. A Psalm of David. Blessed [be] the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, [And] my fingers for battle —
2. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and [the One] in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me.
3. LORD, what [is] man, that You take knowledge of him? [Or] the son of man, that You are mindful of him?
4. Man is like a breath; His days [are] like a passing shadow.
5. Bow down Your heavens, O LORD, and come down; Touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
6. Flash forth lightning and scatter them; Shoot out Your arrows and destroy them.
7. Stretch out Your hand from above; Rescue me and deliver me out of great waters, From the hand of foreigners,
8. Whose mouth speaks vain words, And whose right hand [is] a right hand of falsehood.
9. I will sing a new song to You, O God; On a harp of ten strings I will sing praises to You,
10. [The One] who gives salvation to kings, Who delivers David His servant From the deadly sword.
11. Rescue me and deliver me from the hand of foreigners, Whose mouth speaks lying words, And whose right hand [is] a right hand of falsehood —
12. That our sons [may be] as plants grown up in their youth; [That] our daughters [may be] as pillars, Sculptured in palace style;
13. [That] our barns [may be] full, Supplying all kinds of produce; [That] our sheep may bring forth thousands And ten thousands in our fields;
14. [That] our oxen [may be] well-laden; [That there be] no breaking in or going out; [That there be] no outcry in our streets.
15. Happy [are] the people who are in such a state; Happy [are] the people whose God [is] the LORD!
Verses 1 and 2 of our text today show us that God is our Rock and Solid Foundation. If we remain in Him, He helps us in our fight against principalities, powers and spiritual forces of wickedness. He will not allow us to be defeated in battle; He will show us lovingkindness, defend, protect and deliver us and subdue our enemies. We are safe in the hands of God.
From verses 3 and 4, we see how frail we are and how short our lives are. Even when we are highly connected with great people, or when we are educated, rich, beautiful, handsome, and very healthy, our lives are just like a vapour that appears for a while and vanishes. Psalm 39:5 teaches that every man in his best state is altogether vanity. This is seen in the fact that men die, women die; great people die, small people die; the wise die, fools die; the rich die, the poor die; students die, teachers die; patients die, doctors die; clients die, lawyers die.What does this call for? Simple: Humility and wisdom. We must humble ourselves and remain in God so that He will protect us, fight our battles and give us life. Let us not boast since we cannot keep ourselves and can only stand firm if we are standing on the solid rock, Jesus Christ.
PRAYER: Pray with Psalm with 90:12: So teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.