THE DAILY FOUNTAIN
DAILY DEVOTIONAL OF THE
CHURCH OF NIGERIA (ANGLICAN COMMUNION)
DATE: SATURDAY, JANUARY 11, 2020
TOPIC: YOU ARE SAFE
READ: PSALM 140 (NKJV)
1. To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. Deliver me, O LORD, from evil men; Preserve me from violent men,
2. Who plan evil things in [their] hearts; They continually gather together [for] war.
3. They sharpen their tongues like a serpent; The poison of asps [is] under their lips. Selah
4. Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; Preserve me from violent men, Who have purposed to make my steps stumble.
5. The proud have hidden a snare for me, and cords; They have spread a net by the wayside; They have set traps for me. Selah
6. I said to the LORD: “You [are] my God; Hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD.
7. O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, You have covered my head in the day of battle.
8. Do not grant, O LORD, the desires of the wicked; Do not further his [wicked] scheme, [Lest] they be exalted. Selah
9. “[As for] the head of those who surround me, Let the evil of their lips cover them;
10. Let burning coals fall upon them; Let them be cast into the fire, Into deep pits, that they rise not up again.
11. Let not a slanderer be established in the earth; Let evil hunt the violent man to overthrow [him.”]
12. I know that the LORD will maintain The cause of the afflicted, [And] justice for the poor.
13. Surely the righteous shall give thanks to Your name; The upright shall dwell in Your presence.
Do not be afraid – you are under divine care, you are safe! God cares for His people. King David who is accredited with this Psalm ruled Israel for 40 years but a good portion of his youthful age was spent in battle field. Despite his day-to-day challenges from enemies, he survived and lived a fulfilled life of 120 years before he died. If a war-like man like David survived, you will survive. The same God that preserved the life of David will keep your life! Surely, they will gather but because their gathering is not of the Lord, they will scatter.
The word of the Lord in Psalm 32:8 says “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life, I will advise you and watch over you” (NLT). No weapon formed against you will ever prosper. However, do not form any weapon against your life and other people’s lives. They that kill by the sword will also die by the sword. If you want access road, do not be a barrier to others. God is with you when you are with Him. The oppressors will not triumph. The Lord will make sure that justice triumphs and He will not abandon the needy (verse 12). He will take charge over your life while you will owe Him praises and thanks. You are safe under God’s care.
PRAYER: Rock of ages cleft for me and let me hide myself in Thee.