THE DAILY FOUNTAIN
DAILY DEVOTIONAL OF THE
CHURCH OF NIGERIA (ANGLICAN COMMUNION)
DATE: THURSDAY, JANUARY 9, 2020
TOPIC: GO EXTRA MILE
READ: PSALM 138 (NKJV)
1. [A Psalm] of David. I will praise You with my whole heart; Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
2. I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
3. In the day when I cried out, You answered me, [And] made me bold [with] strength in my soul.
4. All the kings of the earth shall praise You, O LORD, When they hear the words of Your mouth.
5. Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the LORD, For great [is] the glory of the LORD.
6. Though the LORD [is] on high, Yet He regards the lowly; But the proud He knows from afar.
7. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand Against the wrath of my enemies, And Your right hand will save me.
8. The LORD will perfect [that which] concerns me; Your mercy, O LORD, [endures] forever; Do not forsake the works of Your hands.
Take a closer look at verse 1 again. Observe that the Psalmist did not say he would give praise to God but that he would do so with all his heart. What we give out shows the value we attach to the receiver. Genuine expression of thanks and praise to God can only come when we sincerely reflect on the goodness of God upon our lives and families. If we are not careful, the challenges of life will becloud our heart of appreciation and instead of thanking God, we will be living in complaints because of expectations not yet met. It is your duty to tell the world that the Lord is good to you. Even in the midst of dangers and challenges, still thank God in advance for breakthrough and success. God will not allow any enemy to subject you to tribute (Psalm 89:22). In verse 8, it is clearly written that the Lord will perfect that which concerns you. You are in safe hands.
Relax, God is in control. He is your life and the length of your days (Deuteronomy 30:20). Give Him praise from the bottom of your heart. If you are not happy for the things He is yet to do, thank Him for the ones He has done and the dangers He has helped you escape. You have hope because He allowed you to be in the land of the living. Don’t be proud because the Lord will know you from afar (verse 6). Adopt a new approach to praising God. Let the totality of your life show that you deeply value His love. Let Him know that your debt of love to Him is beyond measure. Give Him praise from your whole heart.
PRAYER: Choose worship songs of your interest and praise God.